How We Outreach to Minority Veterans
We are charged with identifying barriers to service and health care access, as well as increasing local awareness of minority veteran related issues by developing strategies for improving minority participation in existing USDVA benefit programs. We utilize two major outreach initiatives to ensure minority veterans’ concerns are addressed:
Minority Veterans Coalition of California - San Diego and Los Angeles
The primary goal of this outreach initiative is to increase local awareness of minority veteran related issues and develop strategies for increasing their participation in existing USDVA benefit programs for eligible veterans. MVCCs are located within their respective communities and are responsible for:
- Promoting the use of USDVA benefits, programs, and services by minority veterans.
- Supporting and initiating activities that educate and sensitize internal staff to the unique needs of minority veterans.
- Targeting outreach efforts to minority veterans through community networks.
- Advocating on behalf of minority veterans by identifying gaps in services and make recommendations to improve service delivery within their facilities.
Veteran Business and Economic Development Outreach
A need exists to educate, inform and identify minority veteran business owners and potential business owners on the intricacies of contract and business procedures, processes and contracting opportunities available in both the government and private sectors. MVCC has partnered with local businesses and major corporations to co-sponsor business outreach activities to target minority veterans, disabled minority veterans and current minority business owners. The goal is to address business related needs; identify opportunities and benefits, provide access to business opportunities and contracts within the federal government, and private sector. Specifically, we sponsor business and entrepreneurial outreach conferences for minority and disabled veterans to help them with the following:
- Understanding the processes involved for business start-ups, financing and government contracting.
- Gaining basic working knowledge of contracting, service connected disabled veteran, Hub Zone, 8A certifications, marketing and business legal structures.
- Developing immediate contracts and emphasizing the importance of networking, communication and relationship building.